Beijing Roast Duck
2250g dressed Beijing duck
10g malt sugar (maltose)
1 dish sweetened soy-bean paste
1 dish Beijing chive sections
lotus leafcakes and hollow sesame seeds buns
- Select a Beijing Duck crammed with whole skin. Pump in air through
the opening cut at the windpipe so as to plump up the duck and disjoin
- Cut open the belly and draw, and then insert a 2 inch- long piece of
wood to support the chest bone and to stretch the skin. Hook the duck
by the neck, spread diluted maltose over it. Hang the duck in an airy
place to dry.
- The stuffed duck is hung in the roaster and kettles of hot water are
placed in front to fill out the duck.Proper timing and temperature are important and the duck is turned
often enough to roast them completely and evenly.Roasting rods may be
used if needed.
- Roast until golden brown. The removed duck looks as though it were
- Lotus leafcakes, hollow sesame seeds buns and seasonings are arranged
on the table before serving.